"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Monday, September 26, 2011

The House with a Clock in its Walls

Today, my dear man brought me a most wonderful present: one of my favorite childhood books, The house with a clock in its walls. I loved it so in...fourth grade, was it? There wasn't many things I loved about fourth grade, but our little classroom library was one of them. I was always eager for a chance to grab this one at reading time. I was also intrigued by Edward Gorey's illustrations. Gorey, of course, having illustrated quite a few book in our library already.

I always imagined, should I be lucky enough to become an elderly lady, I would be Mrs. Zimmerman. Who wouldn't want to be a sharp-tongued, cookie-baking D.Mag.A. ?

No comments:

Post a Comment