"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Dream Of The Sentient Woods


One night, I dreamt that the woods were alive. That is, that the woods were sentient beings, twig-like creatures who only assumed their true form under cover of darkness. At night, when everyone else was asleep, I could hear their rustling whispers as they moved. In the dream, I came to understand that the underbrush did not so much grow as creep.

This little twig configuration I saw the other day made me wonder if one of them hadn't been caught in the daylight after all. :)

2 comments:

  1. This need not be horrible. No doubt trees are as individual as other living things; some benevolent, some nasty, some selfish, some generous. I imagine a lot of plants are hedonists, sprawling in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt you're correct. :) The creatures in the dream didn't seem so much horrible as alien, something we humans would never be allowed to know.

      I once heard a tale of twig-like tree people of Canadian First Nations lore, though I can't recall what area or tribe. Very intriguing.

      Delete