"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Friday, January 29, 2016

Forlorn Road

 (sorry, this picture is a photograph of a drawing and rather dim and crooked, but...never mind. It's all I got.)

Having written about the Forlorn Intersection in the previous post, I began to think about the drab grey little street that led through it - might as well call it the Forlorn Road. The Forlorn Road could be seen from my window across the vacant field, its drabness evident in the glow from the street light at night.

The day before Bill Clinton came to town on the stump for Hilary, we were sitting on our porch when a big truck labeled simply "fruits and vegetables" rumbled by.

 "How much you want to bet that truck is really full of secret service agents ready to stake out the neighborhood?" I asked, thoughtfully.  

"Oh, I'm sure. If not that one, then it's another. They're bound to be all over." said my husband. "But 'fruits and vegetables' certainly seems suspicious."

Early the next morning, around 5 AM, I awoke in the dark. As usual, I could see the Forlorn Road through the window, but something was strange. There a bright light hovering in the sky above it. At first I thought it must be a plane, but as I lay there and watched it, it continued to hover there motionless. After five minutes had passed on the clock, I grew bored and turned away. It stood to reason; things were bound to be weird when the Secret Service was in town.

I don't know what the light was or if it really had to do with the Secret Service. It could have been a black helicopter on silent mode or could have been that old standard swamp gas or an usually bright planet Venus. Who knows?

But it's more fun to imagine something much more dramatic happening over Forlorn Road.  Certainly more fun to draw. But I still can't decide if that shadowy figure is being picked up or dropped off. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment