"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Release The Kraken

Down at the hobby store, over in the jewelry department, I came across an unusual sight.
It's a fairly large locket, suitable for pictures or mementos. But for whom? I couldn't help but wonder.

Not for a sweetheart, as the giant blank-eyed squid on the front seems a tad unromantic. Not a sailor either, as the squid has clearly just wrecked a ship or is about to, which is frankly asking for trouble. And certainly not in memory of those who have been victims of the squid, as that's just plain insensitive.  Even a fashionable marine biologist hot on the trail of architeuthidae might find the bulky design a bit inconvenient.

After much thought, I've come to the conclusion this locket might only be appropriate for members of some arcane octopus cult.

By the way, the cult must be fairly popular these days, as there were a few octopi to choose from:
Not pictured is the smaller, plainer octopus locket I nearly bought, until my husband convinced me that the blue Minoan-style pendant was more my look. Should the octopus god return unexpectedly, I'll be prepared. 

It was my birthday, though, so I chose a symbol most likely to get me through the next (sure to be harrowing) year...

 A little extra protection never hurts.


No comments:

Post a Comment