"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Cosmic Dancer

Being that today is the anniversary of Marc Bolan's death, I was reminded of this odd little T.Rex related synchronicity between my friend Heinrich and me, circa 2004.

For reasons unknown, I'd had the song Cosmic Dancer stuck in my head all day. It's not exactly a radio staple, and it was more than 30 years old by then, but nevertheless there it was.

Later that day, Heinrich came by and we went for a walk. Suddenly he burst out singing Cosmic Dancer - and what's more it was the exact line that had kept running through my mind. I asked him about it and he said "oh, I was listening to that album this morning. Isn't it great?"

It was just a small thing, but a coincidence so vanishingly unlikely that it reminds me that such things may truly be cosmic after all.


image credit: NASA

No comments:

Post a Comment