"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Friday, February 22, 2019

The Mysteries Of Fate, Part 2

Back in January, I posted about the twelvetide fortune-telling method in which a person writes down their dreams during the twelve days of Christmas. Some of the dreams were so wacky that it seemed impossible to make any (sane) prediction from them, but...I may have got another hit.

On December 28th, I dreamed:

"my son and I are walking down the road when we meet our new mail carrier, James "Bobo" Faye from Finding Bigfoot. He greets us very cheerfully and hands us each a copy of Reader's Digest."

This was a fun dream, but I was stymied as to any sort of meaning it might have. However, on February 11, a notice was posted that a hoard of old Fate magazines was for sale on eBay. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Fate magazine, especially the old ones which were digest-sized. As a gift, my son bid on them and won.

I wasn't thinking at all about the Bobo dream at the time, but then suddenly it struck me: in the dream, Bobo Faye, a Bigfoot hunter, delivers to my son and me copies of a digest-sized magazine. In reality, my son buys me a load of digest-sized magazines about such things as Bigfoot, to be delivered by mail. And the name "Faye" has only one letter different from '"Fate."

It might seem silly, but it really does seem to combine the elements of what was basically a nonsensical dream.

The one problem, as far as the twelvetide fortune-telling method goes, is that this should have happened in April, not February.

Oh well, I'm not complaining. I'll be off to read my magazines now.

No comments:

Post a Comment