"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Through A Dusty Glass, Darkly

It's the last day of February, and as this is traditionally my most productive blogging month, I thought I'd throw in one last post to even things out. Perhaps shed some light on what has been a relentlessly dark mood.

Why so dark, you may ask. Well, it's been a very dark season in a year that has been, excuse my  language, grim as fuck. Not that it has been without joy, don't get me wrong, but a year that has insistently demanded clarification and distillation of what is necessary, what we value, and a sometimes brutal cutting away of what we love.

Even for a somewhat pessimistic introvert - content to safely hide away and watch the system crumble because she always knew it would - what could it do to me? Just blow up my marriage, upend my spiritual beliefs and turn me into a mass of exposed emotional wounds, that's all. 

Not that the paring down has stopped. Not by a long shot. I must be refined - if not by fire, then ice, if recent events are anything to go by - until there is nothing left but the truth of me. 

Simple enough, eh? I'll just be over here, sorting through the remnants of my life, wondering what was ever really mine.

Perhaps, dear reader, it is the same for you.

But, in less than a month Spring will come again, and maybe hope, and a chance to clear the dust away from what is left of the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment