"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Mystery To Me


I remember, when I was small, 2 or 3, or maybe 4 at the most, riding in the back of my sister's '72  LeMans. It was green and fast. She and her friends would cruise the back roads at night, out in the country where the cornfields grew. The eternal restlessness of the teenage driver.

I wasn't necessarily wanted on these trips, you understand, it was my mother's habit of passing me off to my siblings. Not that I minded, of course. The green LeMans was much more fun. From my cozy spot in the back seat, I'd gaze up at the stars, or across the fields where the airport beacon shone. It was all so mysterious to me. The darkness, the wind, the teenage chatter, the girls' perfume, the music on the radio.

This song was popular, or maybe they had a tape, I don't know. But this song brings it all back.


No comments:

Post a Comment