"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Monday, January 29, 2018

The Nightmare

The coincidences, they're piling up, maybe not in the most of pleasant of ways...

Just yesterday, I discovered there is a body farm not too far away from here. While I understand the necessity of such studies, I confess to finding the thought a bit chilling. All those bodies decomposing out there, among the rocks and dust.

When I heard this, the first thing that came to mind was a nightmare I'd had long ago. I couldn't remember the date of it, but as it happened, when I found my old journal last night, the entry was there, written in the early hours of January 29, 24 years ago exactly:

"I had a terrible dream - creepy - that someone was killing women and leaving their bodies on the cliffs outside of town. There were numbers of them, all killed 2 weeks apart. It had been 2 weeks since the last murder, and the whole town was scared, full of whispers and rumors.

When I woke, the neighborhood dogs were howling. It's a full moon tonight."

According to the calendar, the moon wasn't quite full that night, just as it's not quite full tonight. These coincidences give me a bit of a shiver. Sometimes fate gives you bookends of a sort, or else they are gateposts, where the strangeness gets in. I'm not sure which kind these are yet.

I predict it will be a restless night, waiting for the dogs to howl.

No comments:

Post a Comment