"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Sunday, December 16, 2018

Strange Territory

Even the palm of your hand can be a map, if you like.

It's no secret that I'm a map nerd, so on the chance that any other map loving aficionados of the strange and unusual happen to land here, I thought I'd share links to a few favorites. Enjoy.

Especially for weather watchers, a live wind and ocean current map of the globe.

Live earthquakes map. Exactly what it says on the tin.

The New York City rodent density map. Rodents, maps...what's not to love?

Map of Waffle House locations by state.

Map of devil place names. (I can't help noticing the trail of devil names in my state exactly follows the rather unnerving escarpment upon which I reside.)

Interactive map of Chicago area Mothman sightings, 2011 to present
Awesome.

Interactive map of ghost sightings in the UK. (Note -there's a boatload of ghosts across the pond, apparently)

I've mentioned this beauty before, but it's always worth another look - the MUFON live UFO map

This not entirely a map, but in this intriguing article, the writer searches for a rooftop where Bob Dylan was famously photographed, including the use of maps.

There are no doubt many I've missed but this is what I can find in my files on this late night. Happy hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment