"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

The Sad And Strange And Wonderous Day

In my previous post, I wrote about taking photographs as I wandered through an increasingly mystical day downtown. The interesting thing about these photos is - it seems to me, anyway - that as the atmosphere became increasingly mysterious, the quality of the photos changed as well. Usually we perceive these things with the mind or the eye, but the camera, not so much. But this time, it was if some unknown quality was affecting the photographs. I felt this was sufficiently curious to deserve a post of its own. (Plus, the original was long enough already.)

In regards to my obsession with capturing the unseen, I feel this is as close as I've ever come to succeeding. 

The initial photos weren't bad, exactly, but they weren't good either. They just were. Like the one above. Or this one:
 ...and here. (though this apparently impossible to photograph door is the local equivalent of the church that doesn't want to be photographed, though that's another subject for another time.)
It was after I'd followed the pointing finger down the alley that things began to go strange. 
Perhaps this photo shows the faintest hint of being different.
The cracks in the pavement. Becoming a tiny bit weirder.
A lone sequin, like a tiny piece of sky.
The strangeness is in full bloom here, can you see it? 
There is something disorienting here, as if the rocks are shadows and the shadows are rocks.
'The shadows of the scattered leaves assumed a depth and vibrancy that seemed hyper-real."
This humble water meter cover (which has been there since I was a child) suddenly presents an intriguing optical illusion.
"a lens flare had created two spectral shapes on the steps."
Into the ravine
The looming figure.
 The watching landscape.

Whether others can see anything unusual in these photos, I can't say, but I do feel they came very close to capturing that certain amorphous quality. 

1 comment: