"The glacier knocks in the cupboard, The desert sighs in the bed, And the crack in the teacup opens A lane to the land of the dead."

-W.H. Auden

Sunday, September 6, 2020

Crossroads

 September, 2020.

A crossroad, according to folklore, is a place between places, neither here nor there. It's no surprise then that I seek them, dream about them, a place that's nowhere; free from the world and the ties that bind, my disintegrating marriage and the pressures of responsibility. If I were nowhere, maybe I could be my own true self, or even just exist, without being ground down under this relentless weight.Turning into dust.

Last year, I likened myself to a moth in a lampshade, and I suppose it's still true, but the transformations of this summer have set me completely on fire. 

I'm not interested in becoming moth-ash, or dust, or any of the sad remains that litter so many glass globe lights. Instead, I dream of flying to the crossroads on my flaming wings, heat streaming upward, into nothing, nowhere, freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment